Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Heartwarming Breakthrough for DD

This time last year, my DD's Father and I were told by the school that she is struggling with reading, and would require an IEP (Individual Education Plan), whereby she remains with her peers, but would read at a lower level.



This was all new to us. They started the programme and we found that her confidence soared immediatly, being able to 'keep up' and to be able to comprehend, even though it was at a lower level. An 'A' on a report card speaks volumes to a 7 year old.



Last night, one year later, she happened to pull out a great big Robert Munsch collection of stories, which I assumed was for me to read to her. She opened the book, turned to the first page, poised her finger on the first word and began. My eyes fill even now, as I watched this tiny, nail-polished-chipped finger, point to every word with confidence and clarity...reading away with the ability of an 8 year old, which of what she is today.



My heart couldn't have been any bigger....the pride was busting out my pores. Something so simple that comes so naturally for others took its time for my girl...but its here and Im so proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment